Tuesday, April 6, 2010

English Composition 2

http://my.uopeople.org/course/view.php?id=22

Students will become familiar with a wide variety of genres and practice them in reading, writing and speaking exercises. Communicating the results of academic research, reading fiction, poetry and drama, preparing job applications, writing memos, and preparing and presenting proposals and presentations will increase awareness of the need for multifaceted language abilities.
Course Number: GS 1102
Prerequisites: None

UNIT 1
Exploring Genre: Short Story (1)

Discussion Answer

The theme of the story would be a message about social class and race especially before modern times when social class and race issues are clearly shown in society. Love and growing up are just the background story of what the author was really talking about. And they're also closely connected to social class and race issues, because many people especially the young ones aren't very much agree to social class and race separation when it came into love. People cannot choose who they fall in love with, because love came from heart and heart doesn't recognize social class and race differences.
These issues are indeed the most recognized theme of the days before modern days. They are still exist nowadays but not as clearly as before, people are talking more about equality and not being racist but in fact we never can eliminate those issues entirely from this world, there will always be those who carry on medieval mind in regards with social class and race issues. What we can do is only try to get as many people as possible to go against racism and social class separation as all human are created equally only the deeds that differ us from each other.

UNIT 2
Exploring Genre: Short Story (2)

Discussion Answer

The theme of the story would be a message about social class and race especially before modern times when social class and race issues are clearly shown in society. Love and growing up are just the background story of what the author was really talking about. And they're also closely connected to social class and race issues, because many people especially the young ones aren't very much agree to social class and race separation when it came into love. People cannot choose who they fall in love with, because love came from heart and heart doesn't recognize social class and race differences.
These issues are indeed the most recognized theme of the days before modern days. They are still exist nowadays but not as clearly as before, people are talking more about equality and not being racist but in fact we never can eliminate those issues entirely from this world, there will always be those who carry on medieval mind in regards with social class and race issues. What we can do is only try to get as many people as possible to go against racism and social class separation as all human are created equally only the deeds that differ us from each other.

UNIT 3
Research Report: Background and Literature Review

Discussion Question and Answer

In article, the authors suggest that “learner satisfaction and engagement are increased when students make social connections with other students”.
Do you agree with this statement? Explain your reasons in approximately 200 words.

I agree with the statement in a certain level. Social connections can help increase my satisfaction and engagement because I feel that I have obligations to treat my classmates in a way I want to be treated especially in academic tasks. For example in UOPeople, if I want to read interesting information and knowledge from other students, I feel I have obligation to do the same too and give my best effort to make a good post. Then if I want to be assessed objectively, I feel I should assess others’ works objectively too. The social connections also help me stay focus on the tasks because I feel competitive and don’t want to get far left behind by my classmates. At least, I have to keep up with their level of understanding over the materials. While in traditional classes, social connections with other students will help me feel comfortable inside the classroom and I can study well if I feel comfortable and I can also express my opinion freely in a discussion. Sometimes helping classmates with their assignments also increase my level of knowledge and understanding over the material.

UNIT 4
Research Report: Methodology

UNIT 5
Research Report: Results, Discussion and Summary

Discussion Answer

If we are able to recognize differences of opinion and perspective, then there is no wrong or right answers, they are all right in their own ways. It helps us understand things from many perspectives and thus, broaden our knowledge and allow us to understand the whole peace of truth. If we only see things in one perspective, it might not be wrong but it is not complete. Such example can be found in the next story taken from http://www.crcsite.org/perspective.htm
The manner in which the universe is perceived varies according to the conscious entity that is doing the perceiving. As an illustration, we are reminded of the story of the blind men and the elephant. Each of the men, touching a particular part of the animal, described the "true" nature of the elephant. The man touching the foot stated that an elephant is like a tree stump, while the individual touching an ear confirmed that the animal is like a palm leaf. Not until sight was restored to these individuals were they able to view the "true" nature of the elephant as it fully appears. In a sense, it can be said that with sight comes illumination. Is such not similar to the nature of Cosmic Consciousness?

Then, by knowing and understanding things from many perspectives, it helps us build a complete understanding and we are able to decide the right thing for us to do. The following statement taken from http://personalfinance.byu.edu/?q=node/13
Perspective is important because it impacts choice. Our perspective—how we look at things—makes a difference in the choices we make. Do we recognize our difference in perspective as we look at the world around us? Do we recognize the implications of our differences in outlook, the differences of our eternal perspective as we go about our daily lives?

My experience regarding different opinion and perspective can be found in the discussions I had and still having with the rest of my classmates in UoPeople. I first let them know my own perspective and then I read the others’ perspective, and it does help me broaden my knowledge. I would think “Wow! I wouldn’t think of that opinion on my own”. It enriches my understanding over matters that everything is not always right or wrong, but there are ways to compromise between both.

UNIT 6
Research Report : Title, Abstract and References

UNIT 7
Critical Reading: Assessment

UNIT 8
Putting it all together

UNIT 9
Final Exam

No comments: