Meeting the Challenges in Human Capital Development for Islamic Finance Industry: A Tazkia Experience
By. Dr. M. Syafii Antonio M.Ec. (Sharia Council of IDB)
14 May 2016
Islamic Economics is different from Islamic Finance
Islamic economics is a more complete set: entrepreneurs, executives, accountants, scholars (academicians), comdev, bankers, etc. While Islamic Finance focused more on Islamic finance industry: bank, insurance, etc.
1. Believe before action: become ibadah, for non muslims also has to believe Islamic economics is a better solution.
Strategic value of Tazkia: as a legacy for the next generation of Tazkia, so people can change but hopefully the value will continue
2. Knowledge integration: sharia + finance: they should know sharia and also finance in a person: hard to find person who is articulate in finance but speak Arabic. Learns sharia deeply but also have experience working in finance in industry and speaks Arabic. This is the challenge in Indonesia and also many countries.
3. Balancing the skill and competence: Practitioners should teach more in class, bring experience in finance and blend it with sharia knowledge.
Conventional + Insertion (ayatisasi dan haditisasi) + Modification + Islamic
Insertion: finding if the conventional practices is relevant with Islamic values
4. Hard and soft competencies: we only focus on hard competencies so far, thus make so many cases of frauds in Islamic finance industry especially banks. We were focusing on behavior like product knowledge, customer service, competency development, etc; but we are forgetting on attitude: values, standards, judgments, motives, ethics, beliefs. Cases of investments on-balance-sheet or off-balance-sheet. Pro LM (Prophetic Leadership Management) program is one way to overcome this problem. Soft competencies: integrity (believe tauhid, honesty, halal oriented); trustworthy (amanah and reliability means wealth is also amanah, emotional and physical fitness make healthy life to , accountability); competency for professionalism and quality (knowledge+itqan for quality driven+time management: best quality walaupun lama, sehingga menjadi one of the best: success will commit to those who commit to quality); communicative for visionary leadership
5. Developing sense of social and economic responsibility: one of the problem is lack of social and economic responsibility. Bank ke desa dan masyarakat, perlu karena masyarakat miskin uang juga miskin iman sehingga menjadi target mudah jika didekati oleh misionaris.
6. Learning and education model: matriculation for English, Arabic, math, plus ibadah. Mental blocks for being entrepreneurs and get out of one’s comfort zone of corporate employees.